Track cleaning

simon_hooley

I've seen a lot of people recommending INOX products for track cleaning and maintenance, but surely a CONDUCTIVE product would be better than a non-conductive one such as INOX? 

I just saw some conductive carbon grease for sale and thought it might be a better alternative. Just wondering!

I think the Inox may be just good for cleaning, but not left on the rails if you see what I mean. Certainly no-one would coat and leave in place any non-conductive compound on a conductor. Never used it so cannot say if it is any good.

Grease will just attract all manner of rubbish, dust, hairs, the odd bit of braid. You want the rails to be clean and dry. Using inox would be good idea to spray on prior to putting track away for storage, likewise so would grease if it didn't affect the plastic.

Thanks Admin,  That was what I was hoping for!  Haven't checked in for a while, but have emailed to send the spare bottle.

Greg,  I don't understand how it works either, but rest assured, it does!  Like magic!!  At £20.00 per bottle, I was dubious and didn't really want to risk my hard-earned on it,  Took a couple of months for me to make up my mind before ordering and now wish I had a lot earlier.  Even my rattly  ( Scalextric chipped) Cartrix cars run well.

Don't even think of using grease!  It will clog everything and you will find all sorts of odd things sticking to it.  Mind you, it might help me find out what happened to my Minis headlights after last weeks thrashing my poor track and cars took at the hands of some 'friends'.

Chas

• 1 year later...

I've bought some second hand track that has a little bit of rust (which is coming off with a rail cleaner rubber) but all have lots of dark patches which seems much harder to get off with the rubber. Anyone get any good tips? This link https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/support/track-maintenance doesnt help unless it's telling me that i'm not going to be able to get the dark stuff off!

I've bought some second hand track that has a little bit of rust (which is coming off with a rail cleaner rubber) but all have lots of dark patches which seems much harder to get off with the rubber. Anyone get any good tips? This link https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/support/track-maintenance doesnt help unless it's telling me that i'm not going to be able to get the dark stuff off!

Copied from the link for maintenance --->

Corrosion and heavy tarnishing

Use a mild abrasive material to shine up the running surfaces of the pick-up rails, making sure that the male and female connections at the ends of the track sections are also bright and shiny. Be aware that sometimes no amount of cleaning of heavily corroded rails and connectors will return the track to a useable state and replacement of track in this condition is the only alternative.

The dark patches could be where a previous owner has applied a rust killing substance in which case nothing short of grinding it off will remove it (and the steel  it is in). Buying secondhand does have its risks and rail condition is important to check.

I have replaced all my classic track with sport except for the pieces that you can't get as Sport i.e. Goodwood chicane, chican curve etc. and even then I keep a look out for track in near pristine condition as I have find some of it just simply will not be as conductive as new track.

What I have done successfully as added copper tape with conductive adhesive on tope of the rails, curled it into the female end and wraped it carefull around the male end of the rail so that the copper touches the other piece of track and that has worked well.

The down side is you have be careful with adding the track (the copper tape is a bit fragile), you can't clean it with anything but a dry cloth, and if you didn't get all the rust the first time it may rust underneatj.

Curves are hard to do. You can only "bend" the tape so much before you have to make a snip or cut a wedge. I always try to lay it down so that the edges of the cut overlap in such a way the side that is on top is in the direction of travel. Otherwise the braids catch the edge and peel it up. Some people paint the joints with the most minimal amount of super glue to keep the edges from fraying and just accept that there is a 1-2 mm dead spot.

Still, if you love a Goodwood chicane this is your only choice!

In addition to the issue of cleaning old classic track, has anyone ever deepened the slot to make it the same as sport / digital ?

I am not sure if it is practical so never tried myself. - currently my long chicane is stored away complete with the classic to sport adapter track sections

I have used a felxible saw to attempt this. It made a big mess with little bits of plastic that got caught in the cars.

I eventually came to the conclusion the best way to do this is to actually cut the track apart along the slot and them screw it/glue it to a piece of wood/plastic /another piece of track.

This of course means that the connectors have to hang over the edge since the connection is made by "levering" the pieces together....

It could be that a 1 mm sheet is stable enough but anything over 5 mm lifts the track up a great deal and looks a bit odd. I added it to my list "things I will tackle when I am rich and someone else takes care of everything else in my life and we are at peace...."

Archived